The London Help to Buy scheme is an equity loan provided by the Government. The Government can lend you up to 40% of the cost of your new build home. You will need a minimum of 5% deposit and a 55% mortgage to make up the rest.
For this scheme you must have a mortgage, which will be a first charge, as the equity loan can only be a second charge. The equity loan is for a maximum of 25 years or before if the property is sold or the mortgage is redeemed, whichever term is the shorter of the two.
You will not be charged any interest on the 40% loan for the first five years of owning your home. However, a management fee of £1 a month will be applicable from the date of purchase. From year six, a fee of 1.75% is payable on the equity loan, which rises annually by RPI (Retail Price Index) inflation plus 1%.
Example: 40% Equity Loan for a home purchased for £400,000
If the home in the example above sold for £500,000 – you would get £300,000 (60% from your mortgage and the cash deposit) and you would pay back £200,000 on the loan. You would need to pay off your mortgage with your share of the money.
Who is eligible?
- London Help to Buy is available for first time buyers and homeowners looking to move.
- The home you want to buy must be a new build, advertised as Help to Buy by a Help to Buy registered developer, with a maximum price of £600,000.
- You must have a minimum deposit of 5% of the full purchase price.
- The maximum income multiple for a Help to Buy purchase is 4.5x your household joint or single income. The mortgage taken must be on a repayment basis and can’t be interest-free.
- You can’t part exchange your current home to buy a new home under Help to Buy.
- You must not own any other property at the time you buy your new home with a Help to Buy equity loan.
- You will not be able to sublet a home purchased under London Help to Buy.
Terms & Conditions apply. For further information see visit Help to Buy Government website.
For more information on the London Help to Buy scheme, speak to our expert mortgage advisers. Freephone 0800 211 8700 or fill in our online enquiry form.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Your property may be repossessed if you do not keep up repayments on your mortgage.
This firm does not charge a fee for mortgage advice.
Contract Mortgages Ltd trading as Super Contractors is an appointed representative of PRIMIS Mortgage Network. PRIMIS Mortgage Network is a trading name of First Complete Ltd which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.